19/01/2016

Exploring Kanchanaburi



I may have just had some of the best days of my life. This was my first trip to Asia, and Thailand was absolutely breath-taking. Life was so colourful there and felt slightly more spontaneous. Everywhere was filled with such a vibrant atmosphere; from the smells of the food being cooked along every street corner, to the hustle and bustle of the roads overcrowded by taxis and tuc tucs, to colourful markets jam-packed with beautifully patterned cloths, beads and bags. 

The first part of the holiday was spent in the relaxing destination of Kanchanaburi, a few hours drive out of Bangkok. The Thai jungle and ancient architecture nearby was beautiful such as the 13th century monastery; Prasat Mueang Sing, which is geographically aligned with the temple Angkor Wat. It was so interesting to learn about the Buddhist culture by visiting ancient ruins like these as well as appreciating active temples and Buddha statues. The Bridge on the River Kwai is another important site in the area and was my view every morning when I woke up. It was a place that you could learn about both Thai history and my own European history during the war. 

Without doubt the highlight of the trip would have to be visiting Elephant World - a sanctuary that rescues and takes care of mistreated elephants. This has been a dream of mine for years, and I can't believe I have finally experienced something I had been envisioning for such a long time. What made the sanctuary experience particularly memorable was that we worked for the elephants, unlike what it would happen if we went elephant trekking or visited an elephant show. We did everything from making their food to feeding them, washing them and watching the play. I loved seeing how happy these animals were and I wish I could have spent much longer there. 

Of course there was some time to relax and have a swim in the pool , eat some tropical fruit and enjoy an ice cream, which was well needed before our next instalment of the trip in Bangkok. 

4 comments:

  1. These photos are so beautiful! Making me want to travel somewhere ASAP, I can't wait for some 2016 adventures! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are INCREDIBLE! Wow-- absolutely breathtaking. Just stumbled across your blog as I was clicking around on Rachel's Lookbook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely words! They really made my day. Feel free to follow me on Bloglovin to keep updated with future posts.

      xxx

      Delete